Monday, May 7, 2007

Kids of this generation!

Yesterday night I was in subway having my dinner, I heard a kid of 7-8 yrs talking. The topic was of Spiderman 3 and she was saying that she is aware of the story. When her mom asked her how, she says "Its very simple. Just go to wiki and type spiderman3. You get everything." She goes on saying "There is also some alien material in the movie which when gets stuck to Spiderman, he turns black.". I was shocked initially. I looked at her to confirm if it is the kid who is speaking. I couldnt believe she knew all these. Being aware of the internet know-how to play games is fine. But knowing wikipedia and knowing how to search for things is wowwww.

I am amazed at the kind of information these kids have. They even know where to look for, to find information. These kids talk in sophisticated english, know when to use the word former and the word Ex. They maintain mail accounts, chat, play online games and do all the things which I wasnt even aware of till my graduation. It was only during my graduation that I knew what an encyclopedia is and these kids know everything at this age, much more than what I know.

Are these signs of getting old?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pavan:

Just yesterday, I saw and heard two kids (guessing around 12 years of age) discussing the relative merits of Orkut and Hi5.

Left me wondering too about kids and their knowledge of the internet!

- RP

Anonymous said...

The generation before us would have felt the same watching us [May be not exactly the same as the IQ growth seems to be non-linear, probably it's exponential. So it's natural that our "feelings" are stronger than "similar feelings" of the generation before us]. Hey the good news is these kids will soon have their day to get shocked! and the bad news is that our time to make money is running out!